How to Do Ombré (Gradient) Nails at Home
- by Sahana Kanjilal
- 11th February 2023
Ombré or gradient nails give you an unmistakable impression of manicure sans the parlor bill. This is because you can get it done at home with the help of your makeup kits. Make sure to rub off your existing nail colors ( if any) with a remover and file the nails beforehand.
Things that You will Need
- Two or three nail colors (similar shades so that the transitional effect is achieved well)
- Makeup sponge(circular or rectangular)
- Clear base coats
How to Make and Paint Ombré Nails: Step-by-Step DIY Instructions
- Apply the base coat
- Put a thin coat of the nail color that you want to be the base color
- Now take the sponge and apply the remaining two or three shades of nail polishes horizontally
- Dab that sponge gently on your nail (from right to left)
- Use your nail polish remover to clean the skin around your nails
- After drying, use the clear top coat to seal the color
The same process is applied for creating gel ombré nails, using gel nail colors. However, for faster drying, use a UV dryer.
To make ombré nails with glitters you can sprinkle some glitters on the sponge and pat it on the tips of your already polished nail or you can simply apply a glitter nail polish on your nail tips. For a reverse ombré nails, apply the glitters on the cuticles.
How to do Ombré Nails without Sponge
In case you don’t have the sponge at home, you can rely on any one of these four things, eyeshadow applicator, cotton ball, tissue paper or makeup brush. The hack will remain the same as the above, just replacing the sponge with these.
A Few More Popular Ombré Styles
For this French Ombré design, a combination of natural pink and white is used. For its natural look, it is often considered as the nude nail art.
The sheer elegance of black and red matte polish beautifies the nails. However, black and white is another timeless combination you may rely on.
Purple and pink go nicely together, here’s the proof
You can combine bright nail colors vertically as well and have a rainbow nail art, just like this
To ensure your manicure last for a long time, file your nail tips to a point until you have a rough surface. The uneven base will hold the nail colors and the top coat will further fortify it.