How to Curl Your Hair without Heat – 9 Fast Ways
- by Sahana Kanjilal
- 22nd May 2018
Naturally made curls are long lasting, but unless these methods are used on moisturized hair it may look rough and get tangled fast. Avoid brushing afterward as it can mess up the locks. To give the curls a bright look, use hair gel or spray subsequently.
7 Best Ways to Get Curls Without Heat Overnight: for Long and Medium Hair
- Wash your hair and towel dry
- Comb and part the hair into 2 sections
- Start braiding from a certain length where you wish to have your curls to start from
- Leave it for 7-8 hours before releasing the braids
Part your hair into 5-6 sections instead of 2 for more voluminous curls. To get an instant result, keep the braids for a shorter period of time.
- Wash hair properly with shampoo and conditioner
- Comb and part your hair into several sections
- Roll each section with a roller and enclose properly
- Leave it for 6-7 hours, unroll
Two kinds of roller are available, foam and velcro, of different diameters providing respected curls.
3. Pin Curling
- Comb your hair and part the strands into several sections
- Take the strands one by one and keep on twisting vertically
- Then twist it around in a circular way and secure the strands with bobby pins
- Leave for 4-5 hours and unpin
The more you twist, curlier the hair. So, even if you don’t have curlers at home, just follow the method, it does not necessarily require your hair to be washed beforehand.
4. Using Curl Headband
- Dampen the hair
- Put on headbands
- Part your hair strands into smaller sections and tuck in each one inside the headband separately
- Pin down the loose hairs
- Let it stay overnight before releasing next morning
5. Using Sock Bun
- Take a sock and cut off the toe part
- Make a ponytail with your hair
- Let the ponytail go through the sock and tuck in
- For more inclusion of hair keep the sock rolling
- After rolling, secure the bun with a pin
- Leave it for 7-8 hours and release
- Part your hair into sections
- Wrap them in bubble wraps or baby wipes
- Leave for several hours and unwrap
7. Using Old T-Shirts
- Take your old t-shirt and cut it into thin strips
- Part your hair into sections
- Roll your hair along with the strip towards your neck
- After all the sections are done, pin them down
- Release the strips after some hours
2 Ways to Curl Short Hair without Heat
1. Making Bantu Knots
- Dampen the hair properly
- Part them into small sections, making a tight bun with each
- Pin them down
- Leave them overnight, releasing in the morning
This hairstyle is very widespread amongst Afro-American women. You can style your short hair making such knots and attend a party.
2. Using Flexi Rods and Curl Formers
- Wrap your hair around the curl formers or flexi rods properly, after combing
- Leave it for one to several hours, un-twirl afterward
For the best result, application of mousse beforehand is advisable.
Advantages of Making Hair Curls without Heat
- Inexpensive and can be done at home anytime.
- It also does not have any side effects such as roughness and split-ends.
- Applicable for all kinds of hair irrespective of length and colors.
- Can be used for synthetic and artificial hair such as Kanekalon and virgin Brazilian hair extension.